In which we think to ourselves, “Man. I wish I had gotten the chance to build a bomb with Hunter S. Thompson.”
Looking for something to do tomorrow (Saturday, Oct. 22)? Head to our Library for the Performing Arts anytime between noon and 6 pm and use our collections to help edit Wikipedia pages for musicals and theater music. This all-day “editathon” - called “Wikipedia, The Musical!” - is a partnership between NYPL and Wikipedia, and you can read more about it in the NY Times. Participants require ZERO experience with Wikipedia, so come on down!
Today is Snoop Dogg’s 40th birthday.
Years before becoming everyone’s resident professor on izzle-speak, Snoop’s rap lyrics coupled with a sizable criminal record (he was acquitted of a 1993 murder charge) reflect the 1990’s perception of gangsta rap and the violent culture it portrayed. Here’s Snoop’s description of his ideal day [from Newsweek, November 29, 1993]:
I want peace on the street like it was 4/29/92” — the day the Los Angeles gangs called a truce. “That s— felt good. Bloods, Crips, everybody just chillin’. I ain’t never felt that before, being able to go to neighborhoods where they restrict you ‘cause you wear this color and they wear that color. Everybody was together. That’s what my music’s going for — to stop you banging for a second. Listen to my music and get on another vibe.
Nothing makes me happier than the thought of our adorable research department remembering that today is Snoop Dogg’s birthday.
Occupy Sesame Street! Breaking photos from Tauntr.com
I worry (as someone who was an adult in the 1960s) that young people will see The Playboy Club and think that this is what life was like back then and that Hefner, as he also says in his weird, creepy voice-over, was in fact “changing the world, one Bunny at a time.”
So I would like to say this:
1. Trust me, no one wanted to be a Bunny.
2. A Bunny’s life was essentially that of an underpaid waitress forced to wear a tight costume.
3. Playboy did not change the world.
Nora Ephron, in this week’s Newsweek, on the premiere of NBC’s The Playboy Club.
Here we go again…
“We’ve started that process and it is our sincere hope to shoot it this year and get it out this year,” Hurwitz said to Digital Spy.
“That’s what we’re hoping,” he continues, “but a lot of things have to fall into place for that to happen. …. I don’t like to toy with the affections of our fans. They’ve been so supportive and we’re so grateful, so I kind of hate to answer the question until I can say, ‘Yep, we’ve shot it, it opens next week’. Otherwise it feels like we’re toying with people and we do not mean to do that. It has just taken a while to get it going.
I’m having painful deja vu, once again I’ll say “I’ll believe it when I’m sitting in the theater and the credits are rolling.”
oh please please please please
NEWSWEEK: How often do you go tanning?
Snooki: To be honest with you, I haven’t gone tanning since the show wrapped. That was in September.
Is your skin pale?
Oh, no. I think I’m naturally tan.
So why go tanning?
Because you want to be darker than you already are, silly.
I’ve never gone tanning.
When you’re tanner, you feel hotter and sexier. You should try it.
Yes, this is a real interview, which will appear in Monday’s Newsweek.
Yet again—seven centuries and counting!—it was the male body part of the year. But in 2010, the penis truly blew up: junk as far as the eye could see. A semi-exhaustive list of cultural sightings.
* A man pops wood after shaking Sarah Palin’s hand during a Mama Grizzly photo op.
* Cleveland Indians outfielder Grady Sizemore’s self, ahem, portrait—he’s nude except for a coffee mug in front of his tea bag—becomes the viral sports-blog photo of the year. Well, until that other sports-star self-portrait…
* The excellent five-hour Sundance miniseries about Carlos the Jackal is basically four and a half hours of star Edgar Ramirez’s flaccid penis.
* A cinematic first: Jerry O’Connell’s bitten-off penis flies directly at the four people who bought tickets to see Piranha 3D.
* A Miami woman who claims to have pleasured the Situation says his wee-wee is quite wee.
* John Mayer in Playboy: “My dick is like a white supremacist. I’ve got a Benetton heart and a fuckin’ David Duke cock.”
* Good God, every damn episode of True Blood. And Spartacus.
* Brett Favre allegedly texts photos of his wang to a former Playboy model/ex Jets employee. He’s like a kid down there!
* Hung is, improbably, still a show on HBO.
*Nwk Tumblr covering eyes and blushing.*