A Halloween-inspired daily cartoon by Paul Noth: http://nyr.kr/17Y2RLf
Here are some of Newsweek’s best Halloween stories of the past few years. More to come!
1) The Hex Life of Hipsters — Millennials are finding solace (and some cool outfits) in that old black magic.
Favorite line: “One 25-year-old Brooklynite who works in publishing recently complained that all her friends ever want to do these days is go to full moon ceremonies.”
2) Interview With a Vampyre’s Dentist — Father Sebastiaan makes the Rolex of fangs for the serious bloodsucker
Favorite line: “A few minutes later, Dragata joins us in the Fang Van. By day, she’s a patent prosecution specialist for an international law firm in New York. By night, she often dances traditional Roma-style folk dances and is part of the local vampire community.”
3) Tombstone Tourism — In the last decade, people across the country have begun flocking to these old necropolises, lured by everything from photography workshops to movies
Favorite line: The Ramones, she points out, “are the only humans ever buried alive at Sleepy Hollow.”
“Darling, if you’re going to be this fucking character all night I’m not going,” Gold replies.
“Baby, I’m going to twerk you,” Halpern jokes.
5) The Mystery of the Halloween Candy Bowl — Why in the world would anyone choose a teeny lollipop over a big fat chocolate bar? It turns out that the psychology of picking candy is more complicated than “the bigger, the better.”
Favorite quote: “I’m suspecting that all future economists would go for the candy bar. Especially if they have brothers and sisters with whom they could trade candy afterwards.”
6) Pet Costumes Are Halloween’s New Cash Cow — 22 million Americans plan to dress up their pets this Halloween
Favorite quote: “Rats, rabbits, cats, anything that has four legs that’s big enough to put a costume on, people will come and try to dress it up.”
Barack and Michelle’s expressions.
Everything about this.
Digital producer Stephen Nessen as He-Man; business editor Charlie Herman as a California Maritime Academy officer; news editor Lynn Kim as Tweety; culture editor Abbie Swanson as an admittedly “not PC” gypsy.
Happy Halloween from WNYC past and present!
Submitted by Pete’s GF, Jess.
And today in significant others of Newsbeast staffers in 1980s Halloween costumes: EWOK madness. Im Remembering’s Show & Tell: Halloween Parade is pretty bomb.
Hey, we did that once.
Zombies take over HuffPost.
HALLOWEEN NEWS-BEASTIES. DURING THE AWKWARD YEARS.
Clockwise from left: Danielle Friedman, She-Ra-turned-web-editor, Abby Haglage, adorable pumpkin, ballerina science writer Casey Schwartz, and your tumblr team, a Rainbow Brite Jess Bennett and Brian Ries as the grim reaper.